Thursday 16 March 2023

Digital Film Scanner


I've bought a new gadget.

I've got hundreds of old 35mm transparencies dating back to the 1970s and no way of viewing them properly without setting up my projector and screen and loading them into cassettes. I do have an adapter for my scanner that I can use to scan them 1 at a time... and very slowly.

Earlier this week I ordered this Mini Digital Film Scanner. It arrived yesterday and I tried scanning a small batch of slides this afternoon. It is quite easy to use and you can thread multiple slides through it quite quickly. Although it has a separate power supply and you can remove the SD card and read it through a computer's card reader, it is simpler just to connect it to a computer USB socket. When you want to upload the scanned images to the computer, by switching the mode using the buttons on the top, it appears as an external disk drive. Here it is attached to my laptop.


I sought out some of my photos from June 1978 when there was some flooding in Cambridge. They took me only a few minutes to scan.


The pictures are sharp enough but the colours may have faded a bit after 45 years!

You can see the resulting digital images from this small my set here on Flickr.


No comments:

Post a Comment