Thursday 20 January 2022

Old Newton Walk

Today I thought I'd walk some paths I hadn't done before. I chose to start at Old Newton, near Haughley, and take in some of the Middy Railway path.

This was my route.


I parked at the village hall and sportsground, which has plenty of parking space. It was a cold day and there wasn't the same warming sunshine of recent days and a stiff chilly breeze. I soon wished I had not dropped one of my gloves by the door before coming out and had to nestle my left hand in my pocket to keep it warm.

I followed my planned route fairly closely apart from, q.v., a slip at the end and it was easy to follow with generous field edge paths and quiet country lanes. Here are a few of my photos.

What used to be the Shoulder of Mutton pub is now a chinese takeaway.


Walking along Silver St, I was soon out into the Mid-Suffolk countryside. and on the Middy Railway path.


I took a little detour to visit Ward Green, but there was nowhere to sit for an early cup of coffee.


Throughout the walk I came across lovely old thatched houses.


I came to an embankment. I guess this supported the old railway when it was there.


This confirmed I was on the Middy Railway walk.


But it crossed the embankment.


I recognised the Mendlesham transmitter to the east from the Mid-Suffolk Path walk...


...and this water tower in the distance to the north.


Some interesting farm buildings. Yes it looks rather muddy here, but the mud was easy enough to avoid.


I was approaching Gipping. This is the impressive Chapel Farm...


...which is just across the road from St. Nicholas Chapel, my lunch stop.



Further on I came to these twittering starlings.


Not far to go now and what is this I see in the distance looking south-west?


I do believe it is Great Finborough church.

I arrived back in the oxymoronic Old Newton and visited St. Mary's church.



I hadn't read it beforehand so didn't go looking for the grave, but Simon Knott's website says "In the graveyard you'll find Edward Falconer, who died while Vicar of Old Newton in 1946, at the age of 98 years. He had been Vicar here for more than half a century, and his headstone tells you that he was known as Britain's oldest working clergyman. "

I was on Church Rd and I knew my car was further along so I just followed the road...


...forgetting I had planned to come along this path.


Never mind. I didn't see much traffic. And soon I was back at the village hall.


Well that was a pleasant, if a little cold, walk of about 7 1/2 miles. But as I set about writing this up I came across this website for the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway with a link to this leaflet of walks nearby. I think I'll have to go back and try those soon.

You can see more details of my route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment