Tuesday 15 February 2022

U3A Lecture - History of Bury St. Edmunds


Another month has gone by already... it was time for this month's lecture at the APEX.

Our speaker today, Martyn Taylor is an expert on the history of the town. He leads tours, has written several books and is Chairman and Heritage Advisor of The Bury Society.

At the start he said... "Don't come up to me afterwards and say 'But you didn't mention....' as I've only got an hour".  And the time flew by as he took us from the founding of Bedricesworth, through the name that resulted from the popularity of the pilgrimage site of ninth-century East Anglian king, Edmund the Martyr, up to the present day, illustrated with paintings and photographs. Here he is in action...

Very entertaining and educational. Thank-you Martyn!

Hmm. I think I've found something to buy with my Waterstones Gift Card... Martyn's Bury St Edmunds History Tour.... and maybe more of his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment