Sunday 31 July 2022

Calamondine and Lime Marmalade

We have had a little calamondin tree (spelt calamondine on our label) for a couple of years and it had grown a number of fruit. So I decided to harvest them and make some Calamondin Marmalade today.

This was the harvest.


Not enough for the recipe I had which called for 20 fruit, so I added a lime I had bought at the market (of which more another time).

Sarah helped me and we soon had the fruit juiced and the thin rind shredded ( along with the lime).


In retrospect I should have cooked the lime peel first on its own to soften before adding the calamondin and sugar, but I compromised by adding more water and cooking for longer.

Here it is in the pan.


Here is Sarah filling the 2 and a bit jars we ended up with.



The problem is, that it is a bit thick - more like treacle in consistency than marmalade.

But with a few seconds in the microwave I spreads easily enough.


Very tasty, but some of the lime peel is a little chewy. Never mind. I'm sure it will get eaten. Thank-you for your help Sarah.

As limes seem relatively cheap and plentiful at the moment (I got 6 for £1 on the market yesterday) I may make some Lime marmalade soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment