Sunday 9 December 2018

Tassel Pickles Chilli Produce

Still plenty more to do as I just harvested the last of these habaneros this weekend...


...but here is some of this years delectations.


Did you spot the big jar at the back? That contains some fermenting pepper mash and will be used to make some mild chilli sauce soon - probably some Razorback sauce - more anon. I don't think I will mature it in oak for 3 years as the do for Tabasco sauce!. As ever, I have used recipes from Linda Ziedrich's "Joy of Pickling", the 1998 edition. It has only 200 recipes, whereas the 2nd edition has 250 and the 3rd edition 300! This year I have also used recipes from the excellent Chilli Pepper Madness. And. as ever, I've not necessarily stuck quite to the recipes.

Now ready to use we have...

Pique Sauce



The simplest hot sauce of all - and one that is immensely popular in the West Indies - is one in which hot peppers have been steeped. In Puerto Rico a rum bottle full of Pique sits on every restaurant table, displaying peppers in assorted colours. Ours comes in little bottles stuffed with little Thai Hot peppers. Use instead of malt vinegar to spice up your fish and chips.

Habanero and Coriander Sauce



Made from our earlier harvest of habaneros, this is pretty fiery! This sauce has the consistency of a thick ketchup and, allegedly, goes with anything.

 
Caribbean-style Mango Chilli Sauce



This is the mild version using a mixture of Serrano del Sol, Giant Ristra and Budapest Banana peppers. Now I have more habaneros, I'll try making some hotter sauce closer to the original recipe. The bottle shown is the taster size.

Honeyed JalapeƱos



A long-time favourite. You can use this pickle as a table condiment to spoon into your tacos or black bean soup. We use it as a garnish for chilli and to spice up our pizzas.

Pickled Whole Hot Peppers


Step up a gear in heat from the jalapeƱos  to our pickled Mixed Hot Peppers, using mostly Serrano del Sol - great for spicing up kebabs.

Well that's it so far, but more sauce-making to come next weekend. And my banana chillis are dried now, so I can make my paprika!

No comments:

Post a Comment