Saturday 8 December 2018

U3A Choir Christmas Concert

Last night I sang in my first concert with the local U3A choir, under the baton of John Catlow. It was held at All Saints Church, which was very welcoming... and warm. We all brought some food along so there was a magnificent buffet at the interval for both choir and audience.

Sadly, my voice was suffering from the cold that I had developed over the previous few days, but a couple of cups of the mulled wine with the buffet helped it keep going through to the end.

After starting with Once in Royal David City, we sang a couple of movements from one of Handel's Coronation anthems, The King Shall Rejoice. No recording of our performance available, but you can hear a really good one here.

Other works on the programme included:
Sicut Cervus - Palestrina
April is in My Mistress Face - Morley
Grant us thy Peace - Mendelssohn

...and a selection of of Christmas Carols.

Not a bad concert. I think I'll keep singing with them next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment