Monday 30 January 2023

Anglesey Abbey Winter Flowers

It was a lovely sunny winter's day but not cold - perfect for an annual pilgrimage  to Anglesey Abbey to view the winter flowers.

Joyce had said she was visiting with her Mum and Aunt so I thought I would meet them for coffee before making my own way around the grounds.

Here are a few of my photos. It was really busy and the café was almost full when I arrived, but I managed to get a table to have coffee with the ladies. As I was about to leave Kim arrived, so she was able to have my seat.


My route was anti-clockwise starting with the Winter Walk. The snowdrops were in evidence right from the start.


I love the colours of these bare twigs.


I was surprised to find some narcissi in flower so early.


These snowdrops are called Galanthus Nivalis "Anglesey Abbey",  discovered in the gardens here. In all they have about 400 varieties here.


Some more lovely winter colour...



The sweet scent from the viburnum wafted along the winter walk. 



The twirly yellow fronds of the witch hazel flowers is another of my favourites.



It's not been a great year for cyclamen - mine at home have been disappointing, but there was a lovely clump here.


The silver birch trees were as majestic as ever.
 

The mill was open to visit. The lode reflected the blue sky beautifully.



This is the Bishop's walk. It wasn't supposed to be open but there was a tour group at the entrance and the barrier rope had been removed.


A number of the statuesque trees have a surrounding carpet of snowdrops.


A side trail takes you past a diverse variety of snowdrops.


Too soon, I was back at the visitor centre and its map of the grounds.

Lovely, but I still think my visit in  the snow 2009 was the best show (see here). You can see more of my photos from today here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment