Saturday 21 January 2023

Cannonball and Nat

I was at the Hunter Club for my first live Jazz gig of the year last night.

This was the listing.

For reasons unexplained Ryan wasn't able to be there and his place was taken by the excellent Steve Fishwick. The place was packed out... perhaps too full, but I had an good view from an aisle seat.

Pete Long was an excellent host and, towards the end. encouraged audience participation with clapping and cheering. At the end Chris told us off for being too rowdy and said we wouldn't be allowed to do that again!

The music, as suggested by the title, was from the Adderley brothers, Cannonball and Nat's repertoire. My favourites were all in the second half. The ballad "Save your love for me" which they recorded with Nancy Wilson (see here) was the highlight for me, but Mercy, Mercy, Mercy was good fun, as was their last number (before their encore), Sticks.

Great playing from Pete and Steve (and the house band too).

An excellent evening's entertainment, but it was a bit of a cold 2 1/2 mile walk home afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment