Saturday 7 January 2023

Transatlantic Sessions

For the long winter nights... and a bonus teaser for some of my local walking friends.

It was while I was doing my weekly commutes to Shropshire that I found, at the end of long week, late at night on BBC 4, a serious called Transatlantic Sessions. I think it may have been a repeat of Session 4 that I heard first and I was hooked and was delighted when session 5 and 6 came along later. A wonderful fusion of Scottish, Irish and American traditional music with some contemporary additions, the series were filmed in winter in Scotland. I particularly enjoyed the linking video clips of the beautiful countryside between pieces. I have all the DVDs.

Over the last few months I've been watching and enjoying the programmes again. Sessions 4 is, I think, my favourite. It was filmed at Glenlyon House, not far from where we holidayed last summer. There is a  core 'house band' that supplements guest musicians in a great range of styles.

Here is a link that starts at programme 3 of the session, which is a great example.


Sessions 4 - Programme 3.

It starts with a very American song The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn, performed by Dan Tyminski, starting with Jerry Douglas on dobro, before the band joins in.

By way of contrast, the next track is the traditional Scottish song The Silver Tassie, sung by Emily Smith.


A favourite from towards the end of the episode is the gentle Bethany's Waltz for two fiddles with accompaniment. There is a moment where Jenna (fiddle 1) catches the eye of Russ on guitar and smiles which, for me, just sums up the camaraderie of the musicians.


The episode ends with Roseanne Cash, daughter of Johnny Cash, with the simple ballad 500 miles.


One final example of how great the house band are as a backing band - Allison Moorer singing Mocking Bird, from the start of episode 4.


Beautifully relaxing late night music. And such talent! You can find links all 6 sessions here (although Sessions 6 isn't well represented).

Oh and the teaser? Have you spotted it yet? One of the performers looks to me a dead ringer for someone many of us know. What do you think?

P.S. There is also a short documentary "behind the sessions" filmed during Sessions 4 which is well worth watching - see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment