Sunday 2 April 2023

Gonville and Caius College Annual Gathering


I didn't need any persuading to go to this. It's been a while... I thought I'd last been maybe 7 or 8 years ago, but when I checked it was 15 years! Read about last time here. I booked my place and overnight accommodation in Harvey Court.

Yesterday was the day. I arrived about 2:30 pm and checked into my room. I was in 'A' block and had a balcony and a view over the gardens.



William had borrowed my black bow tie... which was in York, so I walked into town to get another from Marks & Spencer. It was a graduation day, so there were lots of people in gowns.

There is now a coffee bar, open to the public, at Harvey Court - Harvey's Coffee Bar. Unfortunately it was closed when I got back.


I remember when it used to be "Dot's bar" at lunchtimes.

The dinner was black tie and I brought my graduate gown with me.

Unlike last time, people weren't wearing them, though, so I took it off for dinner.

I went over to college in time for Evensong and took a few photos of the old courts.

On the way, I noticed the college flag was flying.









I ventured up the stairs to see the tables set in the hall.


Then it was evensong by candlelight in the chapel.





Very different from my day when it was a men only ATB choir, the choir consisted of 16 singers with female sopranos and altos. The music was very good, and well sing. I liked how they did the psalms unconducted.
The music was:
  • Preces and Responses - Geoffrey Webber
  • Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis - Charles Wood (1866 - 1926) Evening Service in E flat No 2.
  • Anthem - Lord, let me know my end - Maurice Green (1696 - 1755).
And we got to sing two hymns.

Then it was on to the drinks reception and dinner. I had to scan the seating plan several times before I realised I was on the top table, just 3 along from the Master.


This was the menu.



Both food and wine were delicious.

The choir had the table at my side of the hall.


I had some of the college silver in front of me.


I enjoyed talking to the people next to me at the table. It turned out that Ian on my left (a chemist) had, like me, worked for British Gas, that Patrick opposite (a retired schoolteacher and former member of the choir here) knew sister Sue from when they were both teaching in Sherborne - he at the boys school, she at the girls, but they did music together. And Nick on my right (a zoologist), now a freelance wildlife photographer, spent many years with the BBC Natural History unit including working on some of David Attenborough's series.

After the toasts, the choir sang again....


...but not for long. Just a couple of madrigals. Then it was down to the JCR bar for refreshments.

After breakfast in the Harvey Court dining room in the morning it was home again.

Most enjoyable, even if there was hardly anyone I knew there beforehand that I recognised... but it is 45 years since I had seen most of them.

Others there confirmed that I had not missed any recent reunions - there had been two for our year - 15 and 30 years ago. So I suppose I'll be nearly 80 when we all meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment