Saturday 4 May 2024

Cookery Demonstration

Today I had a short walk to the showroom of our new kitchen suppliers, K2B Bespoke Kitchens, for a cookery demonstration from Dawn Elsom. I was there to see her use the Siemens appliances installed in the showroom which are quite similar to our new Neff appliances... which I hope to be able to start using soon.

Before I got there, she and her assistant had already baked some pastries and cookies and were just taking some mini onion tarts out of the oven. Dawn took me over to the Neff induction hob installed elsewhere in the showroom to show me how ours will work and gave some useful tips on how to use it,

Back in the other kitchen she and her assistant got on with making some risotto, baked side of salmon in breadcrumbs, steamed vegetables and roast potatoes. But first came some creamy mushrooms on toast. Delicious!

Here are a few photos.


The onion tarts as they were coming out.


I was shown the set of ovenware that are used in this kitchen.


Cooking the mushrooms and garlic; with a bit of butter first and then some crème fraiche and fresh parsley. The sourdough bread was toasted on a griddle plate which sits across two zones on the hob. I want one of those!


Some more cookware.



Lee, the owner of the business and his daughter Megan who works for him where there... and more of their family joined later.


The halved potatoes, still in their skins,  were tossed in olive oil. They hadn't been parboiled first. They were going to be cooked on a combination microwave and conventional oven setting. Lee (and I) were surprised that they could be cooked on a wire rack over a metal tray when they were going to be microwaved, but Dawn said it was fine.


The oven Dawn was using had a steaming capability (ours won't have that). This risotto (in the tray at the back) was going to be steamed for 20 minutes.


It contains chopped asparagus, spring onions and grated cheddar cheese and had some chieckn stock added. The stock was cooked so quickly I didn't even notice it on the hob.


Some vegetables to be steamed.


The side of salmon was coated in breadcrumbs which had several different herbs and lemon rind added.


Meanwhile, at home, Dawn was busy with the gloss paint doing the radiator and kitchen door, so I didn't stay to see and taste the results, but went home to do us our bread and soup lunch. I can't wait to have our new hob and ovens to cook with!

Thanks to the K2B folk for laying on the event and Dawn and her assistant for the interesting demonstrations.. and yummy food.

P.S. Just as I posted this I got a notification on my phone and tablet that the dishwasher has finished 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment