Friday 9 August 2024

Tassel Gin #21

It's about 6 months since my last batch, Tassel Gin #20, so it was about time I made some more.

I decide to revert to my more complex recipe, last used in Tassel Gin#17, but revert to the previous recipe, which turned out a bit better, with a minor change - cassia for cinnamon.

This was my recipe:

Botanical Gin #16  This Time
Juniper 30g 30g
Coriander 10g 10g
Angelica 1g 1g
Cardamom 1g 1g
Lemon Peel 8g 8g
Orange Peel 8g 8g
Fennel 2g 2g
Pink Peppercorns 3g 3g
Liquorice 0.5g 0.5g
Cinnamon 0.5g -
Cassia - 0.5g
Ginger 1g 1g
Grains of Paradise 1g 1g
Rose Petals 1.5g 1g
Elderflower 0g 0.5g

Here are a few photos

You may have noticed I've given my still a clean. I used some vinegar with a bit of salt to rub the surfaces and then rinsed them off. As bight as new!

This is my starting liquor with my botanicals steeped overnight in 1 L of vodka.


I used my pipette to sample it before putting it in the still. That tastes promising.


I put new teflon tape on the joints. All ready to assemble now.


I am using my column rather than alembic configuration as I did for Gin #16 and topped up the still to 1.7L with more vodka.


This is the first time in the new kitchen and I'm using the new surface rather than the table, with my reservoir of cooling water on a stool rather than a chair. The difference in height being less, my pump setting was too high and my cooling coil overflowed until I turned it down to match what can be drained.


Off we go with the heating.


The first distillate came off at 82% ABV. It tasted very sweet and citrusy.


I maintained a steady drip throughout and retained 745ml of distillate (discarding my 9th jar) at an average of 70% ABV.


After dilution with filtered water to 40% ABV, I was left with 1.25L of gin.


It should be ready for drinking by the time sister-in-law Jane arrives at the Bank Holiday weekend. First sips are promising!


No comments:

Post a Comment