Thursday 20 July 2023

Tassel Gin #17

We're going to visit Dawn's sister Jilly and her husband Ian this weekend so I thought I'd do another batch of gin so I can take them some.

My first batch of the year. My last one turned our rather good so I just did some slight tweaks to the recipe....

Botanical Last Time This Time
Juniper 30g 30g
Coriander 10g 10g
Angelica 1g 1g
Cardamom 1g 1.5g
Lemon Peel 8g 8g
Orange Peel 8g 8g
Fennel 2g 2.5g
Pink Peppercorns 3g 3g
Liquorice 0.5g 0
Cassia (instead of Cinnamon) 0.5g 0.5g
Ginger 1g 1g
Grains of Paradise 1g 1g
Rose Petals 1g 1g
Elderflower 0.5g 1g

Here are a few photos.

Weighing out the botanicals.


They go in a 1l jar.


With the vodka added. The citrus peel inks but (nearly) everything else floats,


Today, after infusing overnight. This is the basis of my distillation, topped up to 1.7l with more vodka.


I run the still, controlling the heat by adjusting the heat of the hot plate under the still so that there is a steady trickle of distillate.


The initial liquor is at about 81% alcohol. Here it is being measured,


The final result.


And the taste? Strongly junipery and citrusy as before. The cassia has a stronger flavour than the cinnamon before and maybe there is too much fennel... I've not quite got to the perfect gin yet! I think I'll drop the cassia, reduce the fennel and add back a bit of liquorice next time to get it more like Tanqueray than Beefeater or Plymouth gin.

No comments:

Post a Comment