Sunday 2 September 2018

Feta Cheese

I have this Mediterranean Cheese kit, which I got for my birthday.
 

 It has instructions for making a number of recipes. This was my first attempt at making Feta cheese.

The Cow's milk, Goat's milk and Bio-yoghurt mixture was heated and the rennet to be added.After an hour some curds are separating. So far so good...

Here's how it looked after slicing the curd. This looks fine too.

But this is where things didn't quite go to plan. After transferring to a muslin-lined colander, I don't think it drained properly. I had trouble tying my rectangular shaped muslin into a bag to hand as the curds slopped over the short side when I tried. Eventually I was left with this...


But all was not lost. Instead of hanging up it was in a cheese mould and was still able to drain for 36 hours.
Then it was pressed for 12 hours...

 And here it is... my somewhat smaller than planned piece of cheese.


It is very tasty - quite tangy and fresh tasting, and quite crumbly. It is now being kept in the fridge for a day or so, as recommended, before use in a Greek salad tomorrow. I think I'll make some more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment