Friday 14 September 2018

QC Blogging day

A typical witty and thought-provoking crossword from Izetti today, with plenty of practice at cracking cryptic definitions. A couple of fish, a couple of trips abroad, the police and their collaborator, a bit of Greek mythology, some wizardry and a nasty bit of witchcraft feature in the wide range of vocabulary and general knowledge to give us plenty of variety. A couple of new words to me, but the generous wordplay meant I got them fairly easily. Lots of lovely clues so it's hard to pick one, but my vote for Clue Of the Day goes to ROLLS UP. About 1/2 minute over average for me at about 7 minutes, so slightly on the tricky side, but not too much so. Thanks Izetti for a great puzzle! How did you all get on? [Edit: Well it would appear I underestimated how difficult others would find this. But some great comments - thanks to all for sharing their experiences. And, boy, did we learn some lessons today! Commiserations to all who didn't manage to finish, but I hope the discussion below helps make some of the tricks easier to spot next time]
See the answers here... )

Update: Well that was interesting. A total of 45 comments, which I think is the most I've had for a Times for the Times blog posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment