Wednesday 9 January 2019

Horningsea and Fen Ditton Walk

I got an invite from Joyce...

 I intend to walk from Cambridge Park n Ride next Wednesday Jan 9th at 10am. The Post Code is CB5 8AA. Please park at the back of the car park where you will see a huge bicycle sculpture which is the start of the route I want to use. We will then head towards the River Cam, catch the tow path towards Baits Bite Lock, head for a quick cuppa at the garden centre in Horningsea and head back. I can only estimate that this will be over 10 miles so pls bring a sandwich to eat en route. Pls let me know if you intend on joining me for this one so that if the weather is inclement I can contact you and cancel. 
That sounded good and was going to be on a lot of familiar territory for me as I used to cycle to work along the river from the Newmarket Road Park&Ride... and a chance for a first decent length walk this year.

This was more or less our route (my tracker gave up for the lastcouple of miles).


We met at the Cambridge Newmarket Road Park&Ride as planned. It was just me, Joyce and Roland. We started at the big bicycle gate.


and along paths behind the houses...


..before heading down to the river which we reached just before the railway bridge, seeing both trains and rowers.


Crossing the river at the Green Dragon, we turned back downstream and walked long the towpath to Baits Bite Lock.






From here we crossed the fields to Horningsea and had a cup of tea at Scotsdales Garden Centre. We decided the cafe there was bigger than the rest of the garden centre.


This white display was nice, though.



From here we returned via Fen Ditton, seeing a heron (or two) along the way.


 ...and some nice little irises in front of the almshouses.



But it was still early and we had done only about 7miles with 1/2 mile left to the car park, so we decided to go back along the river towards the centre of Cambridge.



Along the way we paused at the Midsummer House Restaurant to marvel at the menus £50 for lunch and £135 for the evening 8 course taster menu. Right next door, at the Fort St. George, you can get 2 meals for £11.95.


After enjoying this avenue of trees...



we returned much the way we came to reach a total distance of about 12.5m. Here we are back at the giant bicycle as the sun gets low.


That was a nice long walk. We were very lucky to find the way underfoot dry and with very little mud to avoid and the weather stayed fine. In fact I think I got a little sunburnt!

Here is a slideshow of my photos (Flash required)...


...or you can view them here on Flickr. You can see more details of the route in my MapMyWalk log. Thanks Joyce and Roland for the lovely walk!.

No comments:

Post a Comment