Friday 28 February 2020

Retired!

Yesterday was my last day at work. It's an odd feeling to know I don't need to plan around my two days a week at work any more. And it's good to know I don't have to do that commute to Cambridge either, although I will miss my walk back to my car in the workday evenings.

After not seeing a snowflake all winter there was some yesterday morning.... here's my car windscreen before I set off.


I parked at the Newmarket Rd Park&Ride, took the bus and walked from the bus station. Parker's Piece looked suitably wintery.


 And here are the pretty daffodils in the office grounds with a sprinkling of snow.


I had a lovely day, tinged with sadness at saying good-byes and I was well and truly spoiled at my leaving presentation. A leaving/retirement card with lots of lovely messages, a bottle of Cambridge gin (labelled "For Inspiration"), to encourage me to carry out my idea of getting a little still and add Tassel Gin to Tassel Enterprises' produce catalogue, and two great books - Robert MacFarlane's best-selling The Old Ways about walkways and walking (I'd seen it but never read it) and The Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart about all the botanicals that are used to make drinks. I will enjoy learning from it and applying it to the gin-making.




But best of all, and surely a unique leaving present, my colleagues had collaborated in compiling a crossword for me and got it framed (I was also give a paper copy to write on).


I'm saving it for the weekend to try and solve, but it looks a bit tricky!

About 4:30pm I handed over my laptop and said my final goodbyes. Then it was one more look at the building before my last walk back from there to Newmarket Rd Park&Ride.


The evenings are lighter now and there were plenty of boats on the river - the Lent bumps are on!



On my way, I managed to pick up the two Dinky Doors I didn't have time to visit on Monday on my Diddle-daddle.

So. Many thanks to all for their best wishes and brilliant gifts. I may not be coming to the office any more, but don't forget to invite me to any future celebrations, including, of course, the Cambridge Beer Festival.

You can see a few more of my photos here on Flickr

2 comments:

Show Comments