Saturday 24 July 2021

A Great Jumbo Crossword

Times Cryptic Jumbo 1507 - 10th July

I seem to have got lucky again. After a few run-of-the-mill Jumbos this was a great one to get to blog with barely an easy clue in sight. Lots of wit and cleverness gave me several Penny Drop Moments as I finally worked them out. It did take me 1hr 39 minutes to crack, though, with my last 5 clues taking over 20 of those; which would give me WITCH of about 200 if there was a SNITCH for the Jumbos. Appreciative ticks all over my copy, together with several with questionmarks showing they needed head-scratching to crack the wordplay. It's hard to pick a favourite. I loved the unusual but neat combination of 12 and 18D, the "going to N Ireland" at 10D, the "wound daily" at 32A and "make a start on this puzzle" at 33D. But the one that gave me the biggest chuckle was the cause of the booking for dissent at 52A. Great stuff! Thank-you setter. And more like this please, editor. Well I liked it. How about you?

Read all about it... )

No comments:

Post a Comment