Thursday 22 July 2021

Southwell Bramley Apple Heritage Trail

Three years ago I did the shorter of the two Heritage Walks (described here). Despite the heat, I decided to do the longer one this afternoon. This was my route..

In all it was about 6 1/2 miles.. quite enough in that heat, but I had time to spare before our afternoon rehearsal. Here are a few photos....

Firstly around the Minster.




As I entered Norwood Park I found I recognised where I was - I had come this way on the circular walk I had devised 3 years ago (see here). But this time the strawberries weer finished...

...and the apples not ripe yet.

I crossed the Norwood Park golf course close to the hall.

Then it was along the Southwell Trail - the former railway line was once part of the Midland Railway’s vision to run trains from Southwell to Mansfield.  By the mid-1900s there were few trains using the line and it finally closed in 1968.

Some lovely wildflower beds have been sown along the side of the trail.

My lunch stop, as previously, was at The Final Whistle.


They have a great selection of beers...

..but I had just the one - the light local Brewsters Hophead. and a sausage roll.


Continuing, I admired Greet Lily Mill,  built in 1851 but remodelled following two disastrous fires.  The complex comprises a series of mills and cottages, probably first used for cotton spinning but certainly later for silk. before heading along the river Greet to...

...the Community Orchard. Are these Bramley apple trees, I wonder?

After a walk out intot eh countryside the route returned to Southwell...

...and passed the cottage with the original Bramley apple tree, no, alas, dying.



Well that was a nice bit of exercise to walk the cooked breakfasts and Hearty Goodfellow evening meals. 

You can see more details of my route here on MapMyWalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment