Friday 19 November 2021

Andrew Angus RIP


Today I was at the funeral of my old school friend Andrew Angus, who died suddenly last month. I stayed at the Hall Garth Hotel, where the reception afterwards was being held. 


It was also where the reception was held after his wedding 4 years ago and I took my golf clubs to play a round in the morning, as I had done with Dawn then.


The chapel at the crematorium was almost full and his old university friends Christina and Simon read the tributes. W were all provided with this a s a memento...


...a packet of sunflower seeds to plant in the spring.

Alongside me form his school days were Martin Graham and Terry Thistlethwaite. Terry, Andrew and I were in the same class at Barnard Castle School and the four of sang together on the school choir and also the British Youth Choir. We worked out that the last time Martin, Terry and I had met was at the British Youth Choir, with Andrew too, in, I think, 1979. I'm sure Andrew would have loved that we were at his funeral together.

My own tribute was in my my latest Weekend Quick Cryptic crossword, entitled "For WAA", with a message in the completed grid. You can find the crossword and a link to its solution and the message it contains here.

Rest in Peace, old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment