Sunday 28 November 2021

Jock's Spot

Well this was a blast from the past!

Microsoft Spotlight provides background images to my Windows 10 laptop. Some people turn it off to avoid the occasional irritating adverts from Microsoft, but I love to see the pictures from around the world.

This was a recent one that startled me and got me reminiscing....

It is a photo of "The Amphitheatre" and Tugela River in the Drakensberg  Mountains in South Africa and I remember the view well. Of course I know from my recent U3A lecture on architecture that it is a misnomer as an amphitheatre has to be a complete circle, but it is still pretty spectacular.

What it reminded me of is my Dad's own photo from what must have been a very similar spot from when we had a holiday there in... hmm... not sure what year, but probably 1967... while we were living in South Africa..

I remember we stayed at the Drakensberg Gardens Hotel and being impressed by seeing frost in the morning, which I hadn't seen since we left he UK in 1964.

It was with great excitement that I did a walk with Dad (did Sue and/or Kirsty come along? I can't remember), to Jock's Spot, the knoll you can see in the middle distance. Looking back at it now I wonder if there's any connection to this Jock? Whatever. I was in trouble when I got back because I left my lovely blue snowflake jumper at the top.

I would love to go back and visit. Fabulous views and walks. But I don't think my jumper will still be there... or still fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment