Tuesday 9 November 2021

Wattisfield Walk

Today was another sunny day so I just had to get out for a bit of a walk in the autumn sunshine. I decided to continue extending my collection of paths walked further north-east from Bury St. Edmunds by trying a route from Wattisfield. I had previously noticed from the map that, like nearby Stanton, it had a Grundle.

Time to explore.  I had planned to park at the village hall, but found the car park full of construction equipment, so I parked opposite the church. This was my route...


Here are a few of my photos.

I visited St. Margaret's Church first.



I liked the way the sunlight was (almost) spotlighting the pulpit.


The organ was built by Cedric Arnold of Thaxted, Essex in 1954.



The rest of the village is rather pretty too, with a number of listed buildings.


I was planning on turning south onto a footpath out into the country, but it took me a while to see the marker hidden in a hedge - I had to go past and back track before I could see it. It pointed across the road along the drive of this house inscribed with "With thy blessing let the house of thy servant be blessed forever" 


There is another quote above the door... "Every day in thy life is a leaf in thy history". I rather liked that.


At the southern extent of my route I took a little detour to find Squirrel Hall. O liked the weather vane on one of the farm buildings.


I had plenty of extensive views across open fields before I got to this nice path,


And then I found The Grundle and walked along it back to the village.



That was a pleasant short walk. Something to extend some time, I think. But I was off home for my lunch after this. Not many photos today a I forgot to put my SD card back in my camera, but you can find more details of my route here on MapMyWalk and more of photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment