Friday 15 September 2023

Tassel Gin #18

I decided to use a bit of a different recipe and method for this batch of gin - my second batch this year.

I had been reading about different recipes and decided I try my hand at a recipe based on that used for Tanquerey gin. This article explains it is based on 4 core botanicals - Juniper, Coriander, Angelica Root and Liquorice root. So this was my recipe this time compared to my last.in Jul (see here).

Botanical Last Time This Time
Juniper 30g 30g
Coriander 10g 15g
Angelica 1g 4g
Liquorice 0g 4g
Lemon Peel 8g 2g
Cardamom 1.5g 0g
Orange Peel 8g 0g
Fennel 2.5g 0g
Pink Peppercorns 3g 0g
Cassia 0.5g 0g
Ginger 1g 0g
Grains of Paradise 1g 0g
Rose Petals 1g 0g
Elderflower 1g 0g

You will see that I didn't use the column, just the alembic configuration. As before I steeped my botanicals for 24 hours before distilling


After 24 hours it looked like this.


The first jar of distillate.


And here's the result. 


How close will it be to Tanqueray in taste remains to be seen, but I think from tasting as I went that the Angelica and Liquorice may be a bit too prominent. Good enough to give as Christmas presents, though, from a first taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment