Thursday 18 January 2024

U3A Learning Event - Toulouse-Lautrec and the Music Halls of Paris

Today Dawn and I I joined an online U3A Learning Event for the first time for a while.

My last one was The Mathematics of Bellringing in Dec 2022. This was the billing...

We watched it in the kitchen, streamed over our Wi-fi from my laptop in the study.


It was an excellent talk. Peter talked effusively over a great selection of images and videos which brought that time in Paris alive. He interspersed paintings and posters with photographs from the time, and gave the stories of the painter and several of the most prominent music-hall stars off the age (and more recent).

My favourite images include this famous ukiyo-e style poster.


and his pictures of people at the Moulin-Rouge, like these two.



A fascinating talk. Thank-you Peter.

If you want to explore further, The National Gallery of Art has an article with slides on the same subject - see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment