Monday 15 January 2024

Ginger Marmalade and Cordial - 2024 edition

At the market on Saturday I found among the "Any bowl for £1" offers a container of about 500g of root ginger.

A chance to make some more ginger marmalade! When I made some last year (see here). As before I used this recipe from Allrecipes. It turned out quite nice except that, after a week or so the sugar started crystallising - I had reduced the mixture just a little too much. So this time I added a bit more water for the final boil and set.

The tedious bit is peeling, grating and chopping the root ginger and I had plenty of fiddly little bits to deal with but after an hour or so I had my ginger ready to cook.


I simmered it for an hour and a half before draining to leave this.


I added some of the cooking liquid to make this...


...which then went into the fridge for 5 hours. I added a bit of water and some syrup to the rest of the cooking liquid to make some cordial.


After tea I set about making the marmalade. I added the sugar. It looks a lot and there is not much liquid for it to dissolve in...


...but it all dissolved. Here it is boiling gently.


It seemed to be thick enough and I put it in jars, with a little left over. Here we are!


I tried some of the bit left over on toast. Delicious!

[Update Tues 16th January]
But in the morning I decided the marmalade was just a bit too running so boiled it for another 15 minutes or so...


 ...leaving me with this....


Nicely set now. What with the 13 jars of  Seville Orange marmalade from last week I think I'm marmaladed out now!

No comments:

Post a Comment