Thursday 15 June 2023

Ginger Marmalade and Cordial

This week's new kitchen escapade...

...has been to make some Ginger Marmalade.

A couple of weeks ago I got a big bowl of root ginger from the market for £1. I decided to make some ginger marmalade. After a bit of a search I decide to use this recipe from Allrecipes.

I started on Tuesday afternoon by peeling, grating and chopping my ginger. I had enough for about 3/4 of the recipe.


I then cooked it for about 1 1.2 hours...


...leaving me with this softened ginger.


But I had a lot of gingery cooking liquid left over, so I decided to make some ginger cordial by adding some sugar and reducing the mixture to a syrupy consistency.



So now I've got a bottle and a bit of cordial.


If tastes good and is quite fiery if you don't add enough water. William had some with our evening meal and liked it.

Then yesterday I did the second stage - turn the cooled ginger mixture into marmalade. Here newly spooned into the jars...


...and then labelled.


This morning I had some on my toast for breakfast. Delicious! And better than the shop=bought jar I had open already.

So next time the ginger is on offer at the market I might get £2 worth and make twice as much.


No comments:

Post a Comment