Saturday 17 June 2023

Octopus Flux Tariff

As some of you will know, we have a small installation of solar panels (9 panels (c 3.2kW max) and c6kWh of batteries) and a sub-optimal orientation of an approximately SW-facing roof they are installed on.

Originally we were with Bulb and used to get 5.5p per kWh for energy we exported to the grid, But when Bulb was bought by Octopus earlier this year we started getting 15p per kWh. Still not great compared to the cost of importing electricity from the grid but rather better.

Then I discovered the Octopus Flux tariff. With this you pay more than the standard day tariff for importing electricity during peak hours (5 - 7pm) and less between 2 and 5am. But, more importantly to me, the export tariff also varies and I can get paid a lot more than I had been for exporting to the grid - especially during the peak hours. Well, with our panel orientation we generate most electricity in the afternoon/early evening, which fits quite nicely. So I moved to the Flux tariff. Now I've had our firstly monthly electricity bill since I moved...

Firstly our charges for import (including standing charge)


i.e., excluding Standing Charge and VAT only £5.07 for electricity we've taken from the grid in a month. Nice.

And then there's the export...


Yes. We've been paid £55.72 for electricity we've exported to the grid over a month... and a net bill, including standing charge and VAT of -£37.37.

And here is our energy balance for the month of May...

I think I need to reduce the direct debit we are paying for our energy! I hope the sun keeps shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment