Wednesday 10 January 2024

Seville Orange Marmalade 2024

After the popularity of the marmalade I made last year... now all eaten, I've been on the lookout for the Seville oranges appearing at the market.

"Be sure to male plenty", said Dawn. Last Saturday I found some and bought 12, weighing just over 4lb or 1.8kg. "That should be plenty!", I thought.

I ordered a dozen new jars to put it in, which arrived on Monday, so yesterday I set about making this year's batch. As I had done last year and the year before, I used this recipe from Delia Smith.

Unlike last year, I did it all in one batch. My pan was only just big enough! Here are a few photos...

My bag of oranges. As recommended by Delia, I chose the nobbliest ones from the market stall even though a couple still had some green tinges in places.


All ready to go. I couldn't find the citrus squeezer so made do with Dawn's ricer, which did the trick nicely.


I squeezed the juice out, 1/4 of an orange at at time.


The juice went into my pan as I went along.


Then came the tedious bit. I scraped the pips and pith out of the squeezed shells into my muslin over a bowl and sliced the orange peel 1/4 orange at a time. Here is my pot with the orange peel all added and my muslin of pith and pips.


The muslin all tied up ready to go in the pot.


It was a close fit so I started the simmer quite slowly so as not to boil over.


After 2 1/4 hours I took the muslin out leaving this.


The muslin was oozing with pectin. I had to squeeze that out into the pan.


Now I added 3 kg if sugar and brought the pot to a boil again.



After a while my setting tests of a drip on a cold saucer wrinkling and drips from a spoon starting to set before falling, it was done. 20 minutes to settle and then it went into the jars.


As you can see, I used all twelve of my new jars so had to reuse an old one too. 13 jars and a bit left over.

And here is my breakfast toast this morning. Very tasty.


Then it was time to label them all. The sun is coming from the right in this picture which is why the jar on the end looks lighter.


The marmalade looks rather nice with light from behind, doesn't it?


Well that's this year's marmalade for me and a few presents done.


No comments:

Post a Comment