Monday 3 June 2024

Richard Rogan - RIP

I got some shocking news yesterday, confirmed today, that Richard Rogan, The Times crossword editor, died at the weekend following a heart attack a week earlier. Update 6-June - His obituary in The Times today can be found here.

This is the announcement that was made by Mick Hodgkin, the Puzzles Editor in  the Crossword Club Forum.

I don’t need to tell you how enormously liked and respected Richard was in the world of cryptic crosswords, through his brilliant clue-writing as well as his ten years editing Times crosswords. He was also a great friend to those who knew him personally. I am sure everyone here will want to convey their heartfelt condolences to Richard’s widow Malika and son Liam. He will be sorely missed.

I'd met Richard a few times and he was as modest and unassuming person as you would ever meet. As admin for Times for The Times I, of course, posted the sad news. 

Paul Kinsella's comment summed things up for me in the nicest possible way...

"I knew Richard for well over 30 years, as a close friend and running colleague.

A kind, brilliant, modest, funny and lovely man. How many from the crossword community might even know Richard had run a marathon in under 2 hours 40 ?

He was really good at that too, but probably wouldn’t think to mention it.

When my wife was 8 months pregnant with our eldest I’d entered a local marathon – Rich was the only person I knew with a mobile phone back then so he cycled round alongside me just in case things started early, plan was for me to take his bike, ride to the finish then borrow his car to dash home. Thankfully wasn’t needed as we never did plan how he’d get back!

Endless tales of his disorganised, chaotic nature, never spent a night out with him when he didn’t lose his keys, wallet or often both !

Simply a one-off in the best possible way, it’s devastating news and all our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Malika and son Liam who’s in the middle of his GCSEs.

farewell mate

Paul, Amanda and family"

And here is a post on my own blog that demonstrates his brilliance as a setter.

No comments:

Post a Comment