Wednesday 10 October 2018

Marbella 4 Day Walking Festival - Day 0


I mentioned previously that I was going to the Marbella4DaysWalking festival. And now the time had come! It was a bit of an early start... I left home just after 4am to get to Stansted for my flight. There were four others of us on the flight and we were all getting the same bus from Malaga Airport to Marbella. But we had a bit of time for a drink and some brunch first.


We had all booked seats... but that didn't work. People just sat where they wanted! The bus, and luggage compartment were full, but it was a comfortable ride and arrived early.


From the Marbella bus-station it was a downhill walk to our hotels. We stopped off on the way at the Parque Arroyo de la Represa, where the walks were going to start and end.


Here we collected our lanyards and tags from the registration tent so as to be ready for the start i the morning.


Several of us were staying at the Princesa Playa apartment hotel.

This was my apartment, with galley kitchen, living area and door opening onto a balcony with table and chairs. I also had my choice of 2 single beds in the air-conditioned bedroom and a bathroom with walk-in shower. It was very comfortable!


From my balcony I had a view of the sea. I had a mini-balcony just off my bedroom too, so I was able to sleep wit the door to that ajar so I could hear the sea when I woke.


I was on the 7th floor, and just upstairs there was a Snack Bar / Cafe, Games room, an outdoor seating area, and a pool with sun loungers. Here is the view from the terrace.


Having unpacked and been to supermarket round the back of the hotel for some provisions, I had time for a walk before we were meeting up for an evening meal. I loved the flowers that were still in bloom. Here is some hibiscus, of a similar colour to those we had in our garden in South Africa in the 1960s.



Just along the sea front I came to the Avenida del Mar with its 10 sculptures by Salvador Dali. (Click the link to find out more and see a gallery of pictures of them all). This was my favourite, “Caballo con Jinete Tropezando” – horse and rider stumbling.



Just past the statues, is the peaceful Paseo la Alameda, with lots of shady plants.


Here you can find some of these lovely Andalusian tiled benches.



Then it was time to meet with the ladies and head out for something to eat. We were heading for a restaurant in the old town visited by some during the 2017 edition of the festival called Medium Rare. On the way we passed the Dali statues.


We wanted to eat on the roof terrace but the torrential storm the previous day had rendered it unusable. Our charming waiter kindly took this picture of us.


After our pizzas we went for a walk through the old town...


...to find the opening party in the the Plaza de la Iglesia. It started with a DJ.


We tried to get a beer from the restaurant on the square, but they wouldn't serve drinks without food. Well it had been a long day, so, apart from Joyce, we didn't stay to hear the band De Blaasbalgen. But we would get to hear them later.

Here is a slide show of my Wednesday photos. (Flash player required).


You can also find my album of the day's photos here on Flickr.

And so to bed. Next up... Day 1!


No comments:

Post a Comment