Saturday 27 October 2018

Sloggers and Betters Pub Crawl

I arrived at my accommodation  at the York Stableside mid-afternoon.


Although I'd asked for a single, I got a room with a double and two single beds! I settled in and tried a couple of the crosswords for the event.

Well, the pub crawl was as advertised, with a quiz starting in Brigantes, along with the buffet. First was the York Tap.


It was about a 40 minute walk from the Stableside, and quite easy to find. But it was heaving. How would I know who was for the S&B event - I'd never met any of them before? Unwilling to ask anyone if they were a Slogger or Better, in case someone took offence, I contented myself with enjoying the beer and watched for people leaving shortly before 7. Sure enough they were going to our second stop, Brigantes.


I found the quiz already under way upstairs and was met by our host, John Henderson, and pointed in the direction of john_dun, who suggested I come to this. It was good to meet him and share our North-East connections.

Then it was the shortest leg of a pub-crawl ever. You could have crawled it in a minute... From our function room upstairs at Brigantes, it was just across the landing and through the door on the other side to the York Brewery Tap Room!


Chatting for too long we missed our host leading the way to our next stop, The Golden Ball - another fine hostelry with excellent beers.


Fortunately, Google Maps came to our rescue, and we found our way there without difficulty. As the landlord there was leaving that weekend, we all put a message on his leaving card, even though he wasn't there to serve us.

Come 10pm we turned in the City Centre direction to our last port of call, The Ackhorne.


Not closing until midnight, we were able to stay quite late. Whilst others took cabs, I persuaded John to walk back to the Stableside with me.

Well that was a good night out. It's a long time since I've been on a proper pub crawl!

3 comments:

Show Comments