Thursday 11 October 2018

Marbella 4 Day Walking Festival - Day 1

The weather forecast for the morning was not great. And, indeed, it was wet when I set out.


The 20km walk was starting at 9:15 and I was there in plenty of time, but there was still a big queue in front of me, including a bandstand-full of sheltering walkers.


Alas my mobile phone failed to track the walk due to the dampness, but here is the official route.


In places you could see the effect of the recent bad weather.



Eager to get out of the crowd, I was overtaking lots of people. Some groups had flags - here was part of a Norwegian contingent

I'm sure if it had been fine the views would have been better.


I got to the first checkpoint in about 45 minutes. By now I had run out of anything dry to wipe my camera lens.


The Rio Verde was in spate.


Walking along the promenade I was pretty much on my own.


At the final checkpoint one of the staff was offering a soothing spray. She asked me if I had anywhere that hurt. I said no, but she sprayed the backs of my legs anyway.


Walking further along the sea front I was pretty much wet through and I could see more rain ahead of me.


So I didn't linger and reached the finish in just over 3 1/2 hours... only for the rain to stop as soon as I checked in.


Overall impressions of the walk? Well there was an odd soundscape of rustling ponchos, conversation in Dutch and the occasional clap of thunder. Yes it was wet, but at least it wasn't cold. There was a lot of urban landscape and I'm sure it would have been more scenic if it wasn't raining. A relatively gentle walk to start with; there would surely be stiffer tests to come.

The after walk party was just starting. The Swing Dixieland Band were playing inside the food tent as I went to get a beer.


The beer was very welcome, and the first cup was more than half emptied by the time I sat down next to my dripping rucksack.



As it dried out, De Blaasbalgen did their sets in the square.


It was starting to feel like a bit of a party.

Alas, as it warmed up, my camera lens fogged up so I wasn't able to take pictures of the ladies when as they finished their 30km walk using that, but I still had the camera on my mobile phone...







Back at the hotel I was able to change out of my wet things and put them in the sum on my balcony to dry.


Later, my camera dried out so I was able to take pictures at Taberna La niƱa del Pisto



Here are Cathy and Chelle, my two drinking companions. Cheers!


Here is a slideshow of all my Thursday photos (Flash player required)


And you can see the album of the day here on Flickr.

Next up - Day 2!






No comments:

Post a Comment