Friday, 22 November 2019

QC Blogging Day

Times Quick Cryptic No 1489 by Mara - Shedding a tear for the deer

"Well, this is a lovely entertaining QC", I thought as I worked through this puzzle from Mara. I am reminded that my son has his driving test next week by the amount of reversing involved. A bit of knowledge of African geography may help and there are a couple of less common words (18A and 15D) that may not be in everyone's vocabulary. But deriving unknown words from the wordplay is one of the joys of crossword solving, I think. Some taut and concise clueing, which I always enjoy, and a good number of entertaining surfaces too. I particularly liked those of 22A and 23A, among others. I finished this in a significantly sub-average time of 4:32, but maybe I was more in tune with our setter's thinking than usual and luckily avoided getting fazed by the trickier bits. So thanks Mara. Lovely Job! How did everyone else get on?
( Read all about it... )

No comments:

Post a Comment