Friday 22 November 2019

QC Blogging Day

Times Quick Cryptic No 1489 by Mara - Shedding a tear for the deer

"Well, this is a lovely entertaining QC", I thought as I worked through this puzzle from Mara. I am reminded that my son has his driving test next week by the amount of reversing involved. A bit of knowledge of African geography may help and there are a couple of less common words (18A and 15D) that may not be in everyone's vocabulary. But deriving unknown words from the wordplay is one of the joys of crossword solving, I think. Some taut and concise clueing, which I always enjoy, and a good number of entertaining surfaces too. I particularly liked those of 22A and 23A, among others. I finished this in a significantly sub-average time of 4:32, but maybe I was more in tune with our setter's thinking than usual and luckily avoided getting fazed by the trickier bits. So thanks Mara. Lovely Job! How did everyone else get on?
Read all about it... )

No comments:

Post a Comment