Thursday 18 June 2020

Great Saxham Walk

I found this walk, a West Suffolk Wander by Chris Barker, online on the East Anglian Daily Times site and, as I transcribed it to get a route overlayed on the OS map, I adjusted it to remove some of the road walking and make it a bit longer. After rain from yesterday afternoon until late morning meant my planned walk today was postponed, I gave it a go this afternoon once the sun came out. Maybe it is one I could offer to the group?.

This was my version of the route.


I parked at Great Saxham Church Car Park. St. Andrew's Church is quite small. I wish now I had tried to get in and see the 17th century stained glass windows.

Here are a few of my photos.

The Car Park is hidden away off the road among the trees.


I started by walking along the road and round the corner to the other side St. Andrew's Church. I could have just walked through the churchyard.



The first part of the path was a bit sticky after all the rain but I wasn't long before I was on grassier paths. Emerging from the trees I got a lovely view.


For the next mile or so I could hear the stream next to the path burbling cheerfully.


The path goes through a ford.


Fortunately there is a footbridge or I might have ended with rather wet feet.


I came across plenty of signs for the Great Barrow Challenge routes. Here I was on 3 of them.


My wildflower of the moment is the mallow. I saw plenty of lovely specimens today.


Fluffy clouds in the sky and lovely views of the countryside were a feature of the walk.


About 1/2 way round I came to Burthorpe Green. These cottages by the green have nice gardens.


I added to the original route to follow this path towards Barrow.


I liked these fuchsias in one of the gardens I passed.


I got a view of Barrow Church shortly before turning right to head back towards Burthorpe.


I could see quite a distance looking north.


Avoiding the road I followed this funny little path through the wood beside the hatchery ponds.


The overhanging branches were really low in places.


Looping back to Burthorpe I followed the path towards Little Papely Wood. I found some bindweed.


Emerging from the trees I got another great vista.


In among the grass was this little orchid.


The last part of the walk took me through Great Saxham village.


I was pleased to see the stone head was properly attired to avoid infecting passers-by.


And here I am back at the Car Park.


Well that was a lovely rural walk of about 7 1/4 miles. Lots of wide paths that would be good for walking side-by-side without breaking social distancing rules. Maybe the group will like it? And I was home in good time to cook the evening meal.

You can see more details of my route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment