Sunday 14 June 2020

The Drunken Botanist

After finishing The Old Ways, I started on the second book I was given as a retirement present...


"Every great drink starts with a plant", it says in the introduction (or Aperitif as it is labelled). I had just dipped into it before, but it was good to read it it end to end. I finished it last night. It is full of interesting information about plants and the drinks people have made from them. Fascinating!  It starts by exploring the basis of fermentation and distillation and the plants that are used as the basis of alcohol. Then it explores the botanicals that can be added to the base spirits and finishes with the things you can grow in the garden. It is also interspersed with cocktail recipes. Plenty there for me to try infusing or distilling... and drinking. There is also a website with a blog of the cocktail  recipes. Hmm. What shall I try tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment