Monday 16 November 2020

A Sudbury Saunter

 

This morning I did another shorter walk and another from the Suffolk Threads Trails collection - this time in Sudbury.

I had walked from Sudbury several times, but I had never explored the town and its wealth of historical buildings. The trail leaflet gives a route around the town highlighting some of them. So I followed that route and then returned to the river to do the optional loop around via the meadows to Brundon Mill and back via the Valley Trail along part of the old railway line.... yes another stretch of the same railway line that I walked part of on my Long Melford Sunset Walk last week.

I parked at the station (parking is free for the first 3 hours). This was my route - pretty much following the leaflet but doubling back from the town centre to the river for the rest of the walk. I also missed out a section that was rather too puddly, detouring through Brundon to get to the mill.

Here are a few of my photos.

St. Peter's Church is in the centre of town by the market cross.

It wasn't open, but there was a Poppy Appeal display on the pavement - 1 poppy for each of the 301 names listed on the town's War Memorial.

There is a statue of  the renowned 18th century artist Thomas Gainsbough who was born in the town in 1727

The 15th century Buzzards Hall in Crown Street, extensively remodelled in the 17th Century, is now a tearoom.

Priory Gate is late 15th Century and the gatehouse of the Dominican Priory.

A row of 15th century timber-framed cloth merchants' houses.

Salters Hall at the end of the row has a fine oriel window. The carvings are of an elephant, a lion and St James the Less, patron saint of fullers.

The Mill Hotel. You can still see the old mill wheel through a window.

These impressive houses in Cross Street are not the ones shown in the leaflet, but are, I think, the weavers cottages that are mentioned.

Passing the Mill Hotel, I saw drinks being served outside to a bunch of dog walkers.

I was glad I hadn't planned on having a picnic here.

I visited St. Gregory's Church, which was open. Nice stained glass windows.

Outside, by the war memorial, my eye caught this memorial to the US Air Force bombardment group that were stationed nearby.

There is still a reminder of the town's cloth making heritage in Vanners Silks, which has been weaving in the town since 1740.

On to the meadows now. At the weir the water level was so high it almost doesn't get under the footbridge.

Look at it go!

This was the bit of path I avoided, but actually on the whole the route wasn't too bad. I only had light shoes on and they didn't get too muddy.

Brundon Mill has some scaffolding up.

At the other side of the bridge I could see a bevy of swans....

...meeting a school outing.

I returned via the old railway line. There are still some bright berries about.

Looking across the meadows towards the Mill Hotel and St Gregory's church, there was plenty of flooding. I was glad I hadn't decided to take the path that crossed it!

I saw plenty of others enjoying the trail.

Nearing the end, now, I passed the old pumping station.

Crossing the river again. There is still some autumn colour about.

Here is the Quayside and Quay Theatre which is, of course, not currently open.

Shortly afterwards I was back at my car, having done just short of 5 miles.... and having built up an appetite for lunch when I got home.

You can see more of my photos here on Flickr and more details of my route here on MapMyWalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment