Sunday 22 November 2020

Times Crossword Championships Online - Attempt 2

 

I was very surprised when it was announced yesterday that the system had been fixed and the online championship would be rescheduled for this morning. I was able to warm up with the Concise and Sunday Times Cryptic, but, come 10:20, the system stopped working again and I was left with a blank screen.

As the editor said later...

"Crossword Championship Championship
It was the bitterest disappointment that we are going to have to cancel this year's championship. I am sure you all also extremely disappointed and upset too. It seems that the database changes made yesterday were not effective. We desperately wanted to do something special for you this year in particular - and to bridge the gap while we were unable to put on the championship in the usual format. I'm afraid that despite our best efforts, we have failed to deliver this.

All I can do is offer my sincerest apologies for disrupting both days of your weekends. I hope that by this time next year we will be in a position to run the championship as normal, when we can attempt to make it up to you all.

David Parfitt
Puzzles Editor
"
 
It did seem most unlikely to me that a database change would fix things. As I said on the forum..
 
"You can't build scalability into a live system that wasn't designed to be scalable in an afternoon, so I'm not a bit surprised it's not working again."
 
Well at least we should get to meet and have a few beers at The George next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment