Monday 9 November 2020

Cavenham Heath Walk

I've decided to do a few more short walks over the short late autumn and winter days to add to my catalogue. This afternoon I visited Cavenham Heath and did the short Heathland Walk, last visited on my longer Cavenham Walk in February 2019. This was my route today.

I had to restart my tracker as it was claiming I had already done 4.9 miles only shortly after the start of the walk. In all it was just over 3 miles.

I parked at the end of the houses before the track to Temple Bridge (now closed to traffic) and used some the Nature England Trails - I did a bit of the Wetland Trail and then the Heathland Trail. 

Here are a few of my photos.

The Nature England display board.

I parked just along the road from here at the end of West St. in Icklingham.
 

There is a field of black sheep here.

I passed some birds roosting on the telegraph wire.

The River Lark at Temple Bridge was flowing well.



I turned left off the path here along the Heathland trail.

This concrete bunker appears to have a tree growing in it.

There is a clear path to follow across the heath.

The route also passes through some birch woodland.

The bracken is golden brown now.

I was expecting to see more mushrooms than I did, but I guess they are past their peak now. This is a funnel mushroom.

I was looking for access onto the open access land on the other side of the path, but there wasn't a gate until I was nearly back at the River and, by now, I was running out of time before it got dark.

I returned to Icklingham with some Breckland tree-line views.

The birds were still there, and in even grater numbers.

This tree by the path gave a lovely silhouette against the fading light.

One last tree-line view before I was back at my car.

A gentle walk that took me just over an hour, finishing as the light was fading and a bit of light rain was starting. Perfect timing! I just had my summer walking shoes on and the paths, being mostly sandy, were dry - a bonus for winter walking.

You can see more of my photos here on Flickr and see more details of my route here on MapMyWalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment