Thursday 12 November 2020

Rede Walk

As we can't do group walks at the moment, but can walk with one other person, I asked Jane if she would like to join me on a walk. She suggested a walk from Rede she had done recently with a friend, so I happily agreed to let her take the lead.

We met by the village hall and started out around 10. This was our route today.

It is always nice to join up new walks with those done already and today we joined up with several.. the Hawkedon Walk, the Denston Walk, the Clare to Bury Walk and our recent Hartest Walks.

Here are some of my photos from today.

Rede Village Hall used to be the school.

We passed All Saints Church as we left the village.

We were walking on the highest part of Suffolk. Rede's Great Wood Hill, where the radio mast is, is 128m above sea level.

I recognised these lakes. A memorial stone says they were built by Jo Slater between 1968 and 1972 "for the enjoyment of his family and friends".... and walkers like us!

We passed the splendid Cordell Hall...

...and Purton Green Farmhouse, which is Grade I listed and  possibly dates from 1250.

We descended towards Wickham House and its row of adjoining bungalows.

Here we found the owners of Wickham House enjoying the sunny day and the view from their garden,

We passed Gifford's Hall and bemoaned that the juicy looking apples, just out of reach over the fence, looked like they might go to waste.

Ooo look! Some deer!


We reached Denston and the familiar Bridge Cottage.

I liked this weather vane with the cat chasing the mice at each corner of the compass.

We crossed the River Glem and I remembered coming here before noting there was a ford shown on the map... and here it is.

Jane said hello to this lovely horse in stables we went by.

Our lunch stop was at All Saints, Stansfield Church. Here I found I had done a Roland and my lunch sandwich had fallen from my backpack along the way.

We came across the impressive Thurston End Hall.

A buzzard was circling near our path.

We went past Hawkedon a little to the south of the village.

We gave way to a couple of horse riders.

Soon we were approaching Somerton, which we last visited only last month.

Now we were on the Bury to Clare route. I recognised this farm.

And soon we were back in Rede.

So many thanks, Jane, for a great walk... and good company. My turn to find us a route next time, I think.

You can see more details of our route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment