Thursday 21 January 2021

Whisky Distilling


I mentioned here that I had got a whisky making kit for Christmas. Well my 'wash 'is fermented and in that barrel. I am now in the process of distilling. Now onto my 6th run I remain to be convinced. My first run with just the alembic hood boiled over leaving mucky distillate which had to add to the next batch to redistill. Yes it tastes a bit malty, but also maybe a bit yeasty. Will it turn out all right? The taste seems to be settling down now, though, although it still is a bit raw. For each run I discard the first 20ml or so of foreshots/heads and blend the next 4 cuts before diluting to 50% ABV, I get about 300ml of that per run. Once I've had enough distilling, I'll put all my distillate in my little barrel and let it settle for a week with a bit of oak before diluting and bottling. We'll see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment