Friday 3 December 2021

Inverness and a Train to Edinburgh.... and Beyond


On my way home after Aunt Iris's Funeral yesterday I first had a little tour of the city before catching the train to Edinburgh...


...followed, after about 1/2 hour stop by another train to Peterborough where I had left my car for the last leg, getting home about 8:15pm. Here are a few photos of Inverness...

The bridge across the river is lit up at night.


As I returned to the hotel after dropping off my hire car, the sun had still not risen....


...but by 9:30 as I set out to explore, it had just started to appear above the buildings.


I climbed the hill to Inverness Castle, but it is not open. I did get a nice view across the river to the cathedral (as seen at the top of this post).


I found the statue of Flora McDonald.


But it was soon time to head for the station. I had the pleasure of the company of my niece Katrina to Edinburgh and we got a table seat to enjoy the views along the way. Here are a few pictures through the not-entirely-clean train window(s).

We were soon climbing into a snow-covered landscape. We had had only a few flakes of snow in Inverness the night before, but I did have to scrape the ice off my hire car before returning it in the morning.

Crossing the River Findhorn (I think).



At Aviemore station the snow was being cleared from the platform.


We had great views of the Grampian mountains as we passed.


I nearly missed it - Dalwhinnie Distillery.


We followed the River Garry for quite a while.


We reached the Fife coast just north-east of Kircaldy, with views across the Firth of Forth  as far as North Berwick.


There were signs at the stations for the Fife Coast Path. One for the "To Walk Someday" list, I think!


We got good views from the Forth railway bridge.


The road bridges were on the other side.


One last photo before it got too dark from the Edinburgh to Peterborough train... Crossing the River Tweed back into England.


It was a long journey, but lovely scenery. It makes me want to go back to Scotland. Maybe we should go and visit George and Chirstine in Stornoway next year?


No comments:

Post a Comment