Monday 14 March 2022

Dad's Removals Part II... and III

After Laura's initial move from Norwich to Bedford using Dad's Removal Van last month, I said, "If you need me to hire a van to help move the rest, let me know". Well there was still Laurence's stuff from the house he shared to move and, sure enough, I got a message asking if I was still OK to help.

I asked if a small van would be big enough and what needed to be moved... "I think it will be, we have lots of boxes. A desk, a bar table, two chairs, and two TVs, are the big things. The desk is the biggest thing and it's about 0.8x1.5x1m".  I hired a small van for the weekend and drove to Norwich on Saturday morning, but... "Road closed". Well I had been forewarned... "So it seems that the road outside the parking yard is being resurfaced this weekend - there's going to be gatemen to allow access but we may have to be prepared to park on King Street or maybe on the road next to the church. I will go and ask the gateman tomorrow morning what access is likely so we can plan! Sorry! We didn't know until we got into Norwich!"



But a nice man opened the barriers to let me through into the yard and I started loading...


Hmm. A bit more than expected. 


And there still seemed to be a lot left in the house, but how much was Laurence's and how much was his housemate Tony's? Laura and I set off to Bedford in the van and her car, leaving Laurence to finish packing and cleaning, and I was home by 5pm.

But then I got another message at 8:40pm... "Hi Dad, just got back to Norwich. Laurence thinks we are going to need the van tomorrow to get the rest of the stuff over. Are you still okay to help out?"

So yesterday it was back to Norwich. 


So here I was again and was just in time to be let through the barriers before the laying of the new tarmac. There seemed to be quite a lot.... And there was still more to add after this photo was taken at 2:40pm! I'm not sure what they would have done without the van. We finally set off to Bedford again about 4:30pm. on the new tarmac.


Phew! So that was Laurence moved out of Norwich... and the flat in Bedford filled with piles of boxes and bags to unpack. Good luck with that while Laura is at work this week, Laurence!

No comments:

Post a Comment