Monday 13 June 2022

First Gin Distillation of the year

Today I got the botanicals and still out of the garage and made my first batch of gin since last October.

This was my recipe compared to last time...

Botanical Last Time This Time
Juniper 30g 30g
Coriander 12g 13.5g
Angelica 3g 3g
Cardamom 2g 2.5g
Lemon Peel 8g 10g
Orange Peel 8g 10g
Fennel 3g 2g
Peppercorns 3g 2g
Liquorice 1g 1g
Cassia 0.5g 0
Ginger 1g 1g
Grains of Paradise 1.5g 2g
Rose Petals 2g 1g
Elderflower 1g 1.5g

I used this still configuration... i.e. with column rather than just the alembic hood.


My aim was to make it a bit less strong at the finish. Hmm. I'm not sure it's an improvement. I did like the absence of the dominating flavour of cassia, though. I think I'll have to make some more and reduce the cardamom and citrus again and add back more fennel and peppercorns. Or maybe it also made a difference that I infused for only 5 hours before distilling, rather than overnight.

Here is the result...

No comments:

Post a Comment