Monday 25 June 2018

Wild Women on Top C2C Walk Finish

By a happy coincidence, on the same weekend as my Old Barnardian reunion, a long-standing friend of mine, Beverley, an ex-workmate from my spell working in Melbourne in Australia in 2006, was completing the Wainwright Coast-to-Coast walk, from St. Bees in Cumbria to Robin Hoods Bay.

So I arranged to stay in Robin Hoods Bay and meet the group as they finished the walk. Beverley was on a trip with the Wild Women on Top; a group for this trip of 12 ladies.

They still had their last leg to do from Egton Bridge...


...so weren't going to arrive until late afternoon. But I drove across from Barnard Castle in the morning to check into my hotel

2018_0624_143953

...in time to watch the England v Panama football match in the bar...

2018_0624_134530

That made it 5-0! After the match I had time to take in the sights of the Old Village...

2018_0624_124523

...and go for a there and back walk along the Coastal Path....

2018_0624_155003

...which would be the last leg of their route... but I only walked this much...


...although I only logged my return journey. It was a lovely afternoon for it and I enjoyed the wild flowers and birds, including what sounded like a Sedge Warbler, who's song I learnt on my Dawn Chorus Walk in May.

I knew that their route would pass my hotel, so I was able to sit in the sun with a pint of Wainwright Golden Beer. By 6pm, I reckoned they must be getting close, so I went up to the end of the coastal walk and waited. I didn't have to wait long until I saw what could only be them...

2018_0624_181743

A group of ladies all wearing blue T-Shirts. And there, third in line was Beverley! I went down with them to enjoy their celebration of the finish, and see the ceremonial tossing into the sea the pebbles they had carried from St. Bees Beach.

2018_0624_190142

Then it was the group photograph....

2018_0624_190525

...and the ceremonial signing of the book in the Bay Hotel, along with some well earned fizzy wine.

2018_0624_191534

Well done ladies! Completed in 12 days, which is very impressive. And thank-you for making me welcome at your celebration meal.

You can find more details of my walk in my Map My Walk log and more of my photos on Flickr.

P.S. The following morning I took Beverley, Jodi and Bernadette to Scarborough station to start their journey home...



...before driving home myself. I hope you all had a good trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment