Tuesday 10 September 2019

Mildenhall Ramblers Walk

Another Ramblers walk today, this time from Mildenhall. This was the listing...

A relatively low turnout today of about 23 people. I wonder how many I'll get for mine next week?

This was our route....


We headed south and the westwards towards Worlington and then on to West Row, stopping on the river by Jude's Ferry for our break before returning along part of the River Lark leading up to the start of the  Lark Valley Path and through the centre of Mildenhall.

Here are a few of my photos.

A group enjoying the sunshine as they exercise while we assemble.


Dave giving us his introduction to the walk.


We passed by the old station, now converted into a home.


All Saints Church at Worlington.



Crossing the river Lark by Kings Staunch Cottage. There used to be a lock here when the river was navigable.



Halfway along this path Dave stopped us and told us the story of how he was instrumental in its restoration as a right of way.


We passed Jude's Ferry, having our stop by the river nearby.


Our return along the banks of the river had its challenges. Limbo dancing skills were helpful here.



I belatedly remembers I had my secateurs with me, which I wss able to use to clear away some invasive bits of bramble and tree branches for those following behind.


We continued along the river.




This was interesting, But as I was photographing it we were caught up be others asking "Did you see the kingfisher?" Aaargh, no. I'd missed it!


We returned through the town centre. Here is the old market cross.



And here is Dave at the end giving us a pre-brief on his forthcoming longer walk on the Saturday after next.



Thanks Dave for the nice walk and interesting stories along the way. You can see more of my photos here on Flickr and more details of our route here on MapMyWalk,

No comments:

Post a Comment