Saturday 12 October 2019

Sunday Times Crossword Clue Writing Competition - PROVOLONE

This was my first attempt at entering this weekly competition, so I was quite chuffed to get a mention under "Good Clues", even though I didn't win.

In case you are wondering, PROVOLONE is a type of Italian cheese. No I hadn't heard of it either!

This is what  David Parfitt, the Times and Sunday Times Crossword editor and judge of the competition had to say about my clue in the results announcement....

John Moody, Bury St Edmunds
Baffled when, in the end, port lover has no time for Italian cheese
Bafflement seems like a reasonable response to someone rejecting the classic combination of port and cheese. Cryptically, “Baffled” indicates an anagram of N (last letter of “when”) and PORT LOVER, with the T (time) removed. It’s a well-worked clue, but these kind of complex anagrams never seem quite as satisfying to the solver as to the setter.

Damned by faint praise, perhaps? At least I got that honorable mention!

No comments:

Post a Comment