Sunday 6 October 2019

Flower of Suffolk

Today was the third of the 3 LDWA Norfolk and Suffolk Challenge walks of 2019, the Flower of Suffolk. After doing the Daffodil Dawdle at the end of March and the Wolsey Waddle in July, I just had to do this to complete the trio despite the weather forecast, which was dire. I had contemplated doing the full 26 mile distance, but with the weather being as it was, I decided to stick to the 18 mile version I had registered for.

This was our route.


We started and finished at Walberswick Village Hall and I was in the 8:30 am start. It was already raining heavily... and didn't stop all the way round! Here are a few photos. For reasons that will become clear, I've supplemented mine with some posted on the LDWA Norfolk and Suffolk Facebook page posted by Katy Windeatt and Lou Hartnett.

As I arrived at the Village Hall to register, the 8am starters were just emerging.


I was glad of a couple of cups of tea from Hayley and Michelle before setting off. As you can see, the room was all prepared for the return of the wet runners and walkers.


There were still plenty of people to register, but I think quite a few just didn't come.


I liked this message by the door.


Time to set off.


We passed the derelict Windmill on Westwood Marshes on the way out and on the way back. I would love to show you my photos, but I kept my camera dry in a plastic bag in my rucksack while on the go and used my phone camera. But after about 3 miles it stopped working, and, what is more, appears to be terminally damaged. So here are Lou's and Katy's.



Checkpoint 1 was by the beach in Dunwich. There wasn't much room under the awning to keep out of the rain!



We passed the ruins of Greyfriars Friary as we continued  from Dunwich towards Eastbridge and Checkpoint 2. Nice photo, Katy.


Nice irony with this one!


We saw some lovely flowers and mushrooms.



Most of the route from Checkpoint 1 to Checkpoint 2 was familiar from family walks, like this one.

Checkpoint 2 was in the car park of the Eel's Foot. Not in the pub itself. which was a shame, but it was only just past 11am so a bit early for a pint and I don't think they would have appreciated a load of wet and muddy runners and walkers inside.


Servicing the drinks I found Michael who led the Royal Romp walk I went on in August.

By now my directions and map had become overly soggy and completely illegible. I had followed a couple from Checkpoint 1, but they were doing the 26 miles, so I had to find someone else to show me the way... and keep up with them. Our route back took us through some nice countryside, including Dunwich Forest.






By now, the relentless rain had created flooding on roads and paths. A little uphill stretch on our route at one point had turned into a river. The cruciverbalist in me thought... "This must be it. The flower of Suffolk after which the walk is named.". (A river is often deceptively clued as a 'flower', i.e. something that flows, in crossword clues).





Katy has shared an entertaining video of it.

Eventually we reached Checkpoint 4. (only the 26 milers had a Checkpoint 3).



Then it was back through the marshes and along the beach to the start. The paths were pretty much waterlogged by now.




Some more tea and cheesy beans on toast were most welcome, but I went to my car and changed into some dry clothes first. Then I collected my certificates.


It's just as well I was quite quick. The local roads as I set off for home had some bad flooding and were almost impassable in places... and the rain was still falling. Someone said later that the area had had 40mm today!


It says The Poppyline Marathon instead of The Wolsey Waddle, but never mind.

It was such a pity the conditions were so difficult, but it that made it feel even more of an achievement. I'm looking forward to doing the TriAnglian challenge next year... maybe I'll do the full distance each time too. Many thanks to the organisers and marshals. It can't have been much fun standing at those checkpoints in the rain.

You can see more details of our route here in MapMyWalk and more photos (including some by Katy and Lou) here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment