Sunday 7 July 2019

Wolsey Waddle

This was my second Norfolk and Suffolk LDWA challenge event after the Daffodil Dawdle in March. I've never been that far, and I wasn't quite brave enough as I had a blister that still hadn't healed, so I didn't sign up for the full 29 mile long walk, instead going for the shorter 21 mile. route.

I was in good company as we had several Bury St. Edmunds Ramblers (and Newmarket Ramblers) on the shorter walk. This was our route...


And what a great route it was too! (...apart from the squelchy bit along the shore of the River Orwell, which seemed a lot more difficult than when I walked it in the opposite direction 2 weeks earlier on the Orwell Challenge).

Here are a few of my photos.

Some ramblers staring the walk.


As we got going, I met up with Sue, who had been on our wonderful Mallorca adventure in April. Before I knew it I found I was among the fast walkers in the slow walker group with a big gap behind us and I never got to see my fellow ramblers again until the end.

We had a very interesting section along a boardwalk with a few hurdles to negotiate...


We passed Orwell Park School shortly before our first checkpoint at Nacton picnic site.


Walking along the River Orwell shore we got lovely views....


..but also some squelchy conditions.


It's a good way to approach the Orwell Bridge.


We walked under it and up towards Holywells Park, where we had our 2nd checkpoint at the lovely conservatory.


From here we descended to the waterfront and walked through the town, encountering several of the elephants from Elmer's Big Parade... [link updated to write-up of when we did it].


The marina is worthy of a Mediterranean resort.


The walk had, of course, to pass the eponymous Cardinal Wolsey statue.


Onwards and out into the countryside across the railway close to Westerfield Station, where we were admonished by a scary voice to cross the railway safely, we climbed to the trig point at the highest point of our route at a dizzying 54m above sea-level.Here is Sue celebrating the achievement.


We got some lovely countryside to walk through...



...with some lovely wild flowers.


And then, not long after,  we were back where we started!


We were well catered for by the volunteers. I could have had quiche, but opted for the beans and toast with my cup of tea. Yum!


And here are our bunch of ramblers (hmm... what is the proper collective noun?) with our certificates.



Well done to all, and many thanks to the organisers and marshals (with a special callout to walking pals Chelle and Hayley). The route, instructions and sustenance at each of the checkpoints and start/finish were excellent! Thanks also to Sue and Iwona for their company and shared navigation on the way round. Lovely walk! I must sign up to the 3rd challenge walk in October, the Flower of Suffolk.

You can see plenty more of my photos here on Flickr and more details of our route here on MayMyWalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment