Thursday 13 May 2021

Wild Garlic Pesto and Dip

It all began with a crossword clue in Times Cryptic 27964.  "19D Stuff children, offering garlic (7)".
The blog explaining the answer is here. It transpired that a lot of solvers didn't know the word, so I posted a photo on our Crossword Central discussion forum on Discord from  Freston Wood on the Bluebell Walk last week.

In response Jerry said "Don't just sit there - dig a few up and make a pesto dip to die for".  With a bit of cajoling, he shared his recipe with us on our #foodies-only-no-plebs channel. See here.

So yesterday, on our Great Finborough walk, which I knew would pass a good lot of wild garlic, I harvested some, and today made some of the pesto and dip...

"Use all of the plant", said Jerry,  "leaves and flowers, but wash it well first". This was my modest crop, just enough for Jerry's recipe, washed.

For the ingredients I substituted grana padano for the parmesan and used pine nuts rather than hazlenuts.

After processing, this is what it looked like. The smell was strong and the taste even more powerful!

I filled two little jars with pesto and used the rest to make some of the dip...

Jerry recommends leaving the dip in the fridge for a day or two before using.

Well the job wasn't done until they were labelled... see top of the post. I can't wait to try the dip at the weekend, but tasting as I went made me garlicked out, so it could be a bit strong.  Could be a great substitute for aioli, I think.

Wait a minute... The very thing. I think I'll try some with this recipe for my lunch on our walk tomorrow instead of the chilli sauce I usually add. It should ensure good social distancing from me after our lunch!

Oh. And the answer to the clue? RAMSONS.


No comments:

Post a Comment