Tuesday 26 February 2019

Magog Down Circular Walk

When I go to work on my 2-days a week, I drive to the south of Cambridge and park at the Babraham Rd Park&Ride and get the bus to the railway station... or get off at the Hills Rd 6th Form College stop... or walk all the way to the office.

On the way to the Park&Ride, I pass over the Gog Magog hills, and have always wondered what a walk around there would be like. So I used the walk planner tool on the Ramblers site to design a walk and then did it today.

This was my route...


Pretty much as I had planned but with a bit more wandering round Wandlebury than I specified.

I started with a circuit round the Magog Down. What great views!







Down the footpath alongside the road to Stapleford, passing The Granary I headed to Babraham along the River Granta passing Babraham Church which, alas, was not open, and Babraham Hall, and then on into the village.








Lunch (and beer) at The George was good...


...and I headed towards the old roman road to walk back uphill to Wandlebury and across the road back to Magog Down. I heard lots of skylarks and saw lots of blossom and even butterflies (in February!).







Here is a  map of the Roman Road I joined.





I rather liked this map of the local paths, old and new...


A cyclist overtook me and we exchanged pleasantries. We agreed on what a wonderful day it was for walking and cycling.


This was "Ely View". A bit hazy with the Saharan sand pollution is my excuse for not being able to see Ely Cathedral. I think this is the appropriate direction!


And a view towards the City Centre, Oo! I can see my office!


 It's still February, remember, and there were some lovely snowdrops (again!).




Nearing the end there was  view of Addenbrookes...


And finally I was back at Magog Down.


The weather was amazingly mild and I was glad of my cap to avoid getting the top of my head sunburnt. A lovely walk of about 10 miles, yet, apart from at the start and end and pub in the middle, I saw scarcely anyone else.

Here is a slideshow of my photographs (Flash required)


You can also see my photos here on Flickr and more details of my route in my MapMyWalk log. A great walk. I would do it again. Does anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment